When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect around the world. We’re a human network that reaches across the globe and works behind the scenes. We anticipate, lead, and believe that listening is where learning begins. In crisis and in celebration, we come together—lifting up our communities and striving to make an impact to move the world forward. If you’re fueled by purpose, and powered by persistence, explore a career with us. Here, you’ll discover the rigor it takes to make a difference and the fulfillment that comes with living the #NetworkLife.
What you’ll be doing...
- Involved in the daily activities of configuration and system administration associated with non-production and production environments.
- Optimize system operation, performance, and resource utilization.
- Monitoring and reporting on performance metrics
- 24x7 production on-call support handling emergencies
- Participate in system capacity analysis and planning.
- Install, configure, and upgrade non-production and production NoSQL software and related products.
- Perform regular maintenance (i.e.: patches and upgrades), proactive monitoring and optimization of non-production and production environments.
- Determine size and IOPS of a working set by analyzing queries.
- Educating Engineers regarding best practices for database use (queries, schema creation, index creation)
Identify areas of improvement and make suggestions.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in Administration of NoSQL distributed database systems like Cassandra.
- Experience in Designing and deploying Highly Scalable Cassandra Database clusters on Cloud.
- Experience handling common database procedures, such as upgrades, backups, recovery, migration, maintenance, etc.
- Knowledge of Cassandra schema, CQL query, Cassandra command-line utility, and DataStax ops center.
- Experience or knowledge in Cassandra Reaper.
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing database infrastructure and processes to support true 24x7x365 operations, by reaching the expectation of no downtime for database maintenance
- Experience in Performance monitoring and query fine-tuning, Problem determination and troubleshooting, interacting with UNIX and Application group.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Strong commitment to quality, self-motivation and accountability to work assignments.
- Good analytical aptitude to apply quality assurance principles to all aspects of work.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to effectively interact with other project teams in support of a multi-service
- Possess strong leadership skills and further the evolution of intellectual capital assets
and developing practice resources.
- Experience or strong knowledge in Kubernetes.
- Experience or strong knowledge Databases like PostgreSQL, MariaDB
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Where you’ll be workingIn this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
Diversity and Inclusion
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.